Skin Care Treatments Micro-needling
For micro-needling, we use an electric skin needling device made especially for this purpose. The device is a pen shaped studded with 12 very fine needles. It is a medical device used in micro needling to break down old scar tissue and to stimulate skin cells to proliferate. This cell multiplication results in the formation of new tissue layers of elastin and collagen fibers as well as in new capillaries for an improved blood supply.
Who could benefit from micro-needling?
Anyone interested in improving the condition of their skin and/ or those with the following conditions:
- Mild to moderate acne scarring; any new or old scars
- Fine lines and wrinkles;
- Hair loss
- Loose, lax skin;
- Skin texture and pore size
- Stretch marks
Goals/ Benefits of Micro-needling
- Dramatically increases the effectiveness and penetration of active ingredients in topical medications/ preparations
- Stimulates circulation, collagen and elastin production
- Medical grade titanium needles makes it non-allergenic to human tissue
- Cost effective compared to other resurfacing procedures
- Can be performed on all skin types, including ethnic skin
- It can be used on all areas of the scalp, face, body including fragile skin like around eyes, mouth and neck
Preparation for Micro-needling
- For two weeks prior to your appointment a course of hydroquinone or Melamin and tretinoin or Retamax to prepare your skin and get the most from your procedure. You could replace the hydroquinone and tretinoin with a light chemical peel one week prior to the procedure. Stop the hydroquinone the evening prior to your procedure and the tretinoin three days prior.
- Arrive to your appointment with a clean dry face.
The skin is cleaned and numbing cream may be applied to lessen discomfort. For better results we use a collagen-stimulating product like Hyaluronic Acid, Vitamin-C serum or skin lightener for pigmentation during the procedure. A small handheld pen like device with a sterile, disposable tip with 12 tiny needles is then used to pierce the skin. Our needling pen’s multi-speed and adjustable needle depth allow needles to pierce the skin’s layer at 90 degrees and increase the absorption of products. After the treatment, soothing Vitamin-C serum or Hyaluronic acid are used to hydrate, heal and protect the skin. A physical sunscreen is applied before you leave the office.
Post Procedure Recovery
- Your recovery time will be influenced by how aggressive a treatment you’ve received and your individual skin’s response. Your Skin Care Specialist will have discussed with you the individual time frame but you should expect between 1-4 days. Most patients with be red and flushed for 12-24 hours. Within 2 weeks you will begin to see a change, you may continue to notice improvement into the second and third month.
- Sun Exposure: Avoid direct sun for 3-5 days.
- Sun Block is mandatory if outside and should be reapplied every 2 hours. Physical Sunblock (titanium dioxide or zinc oxide) is recommended.
- Waxing/Laser treatments and Facial Treatments: Avoid for 2 weeks.
- Exercise or swimming: Avoid for 24 hours (Do not want to sweat).
- No Exfoliating Products, Vitamin C, Retin-A, Astringents, Acids, or products containing alcohol/fragrance for 3 days unless instructed by your skin care specialist.
- NO Make-up for 24 hours. It is recommended to use mineral makeup after that time.
- Increase water intake to include at least 8 glasses.
- Wash treated area with gentle cleanser 3 days post treatment. Do NOT use washcloths as that can irritate your skin.
- DO NOT PICK AT SKIN!
We usually perform micro needling for cosmetic reasons. Therefore, we do not expect health insurance to cover the cost of the procedure.
The suitability of micro-needling for an individual is determined during the office consultation. All procedures have risks. Minor complications occur occasionally. Major complications are quite rare.
Long term use of cosmeceuticals will help to maintain your results, specifically tretinoin or retinol helps exfoliate the skin and improves skin turnover.